Frequently Asked Questions Relating to
Warrior Transition Brigade

Q: How does a Non-Medical Attendant (NMA) obtain a Naval Exchange (NEX) Letter?

A: An NMA may be given a temporary Navy Exchange privilege document enabling the individual to purchase items on behalf of an active duty member who is hospitalized at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Additionally, the NEX letter will provide access and grant privileges to purchase items at the commissary at Forest Glen. A NEX letter may be given to a NMA who do not currently hold exchange privileges (i.e. dependents of active duty service members or dependents of retirees). If the NMA does currently have a dependent military identification card, a NEX letter will NOT be given.
The NEX letter must be carried on the individual person with an acceptable form of photographic ID, which is necessary to make purchases. If the guidelines in the NEX letter aren’t adhered to, the Commanding Officer, Navy Support Activity, Bethesda reserves the right to withdraw the privilege. Your Soldier’s Squad Leader will be the point of contact to assist the NMA with obtaining the NEX letter.

Q: Is there transportation to the Forest Glen Commissary?

A: Yes, Naval Support Activity Bethesda (NSA-B) and WTB-NCR shuttles makes trips to the commissary at Forest Glen.

Q: How do I get Basic Life Support Training while I’m a NMA at Bethesda?

A: Basic life support classes, specifically, the “Heart Saver” class is provided to interested NMAs through the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center’s Education and Training Depart, contact Ms Christian Powell at 301-319-5209 to schedule a class. Instructions are also provided on the Automated External Defibrillator (AED). The AED is a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses a potentially life threatening cardiac arrhythmias and is able to treat arrhythmias through defibrillation.

Q: Define Non Medical Attendant.

A: A Non Medical Attendant – a person selected by an eligible Soldier, and approved by the Soldier’s attending physician and the Military Treatment Commander,( in the case of the WTB-NCR, the approval authority is the CDR, WTB-NCR) who will contribute to the healing and recovery of the Soldier. This individual is placed on military orders which provide certain benefits to the individual. To be eligible for a NMA, a Soldier must be found to be “seriously ill, injured, or wounded”; or” very seriously ill, injured or wounded” by their attending physician and due to the illness, injury, or wounds, needs continuing outpatient treatment.

Q: What are Invitational Travel Orders (ITO)?

A: The NMA program allows physician-designated, seriously ill or injured, or very seriously ill or injured Soldiers to identify an individual that will be placed on Invitational Travel Orders (ITO) to provide support and assistance to the Soldier as they heal and recover.

Q: What is Special Compensation for Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (SCAADL)?

A: SCAADL was authorized by the Fiscal Year 2010 National Defense Authorization Act. This special monthly compensation is for service members who incur a permanent catastrophic injury or illness. SCAADL helps offset the loss of income by a primary Caregiver who provides non-medical care, support and assistance for the service member.

Q: Is SCAADL automatic?

A: No, the service member or guardian must apply, and a DoD or VA physician certifies eligibility. A service member should contact a member of his or her recovery team (such as the primary care manager, nurse case manager, Recovery Care Coordinator, non-medical case manager, or unit leadership) for SCAADL application form and guidance.

Q: What steps should I take to apply?

A: Contact a member of your recovery team, such as the primary care manager, nurse case manager, Recovery Care Coordinator, non-medical case manager, AW2 Advocate or unit leadership for the SCAADL application and guidance.
Your DoD or VA physician will complete a DD Form 2948. If your attending physician is not affiliated with DoD or VA, arrangements can be made by contacting your recovery team to have a DoD or VA physician review your case and complete the certification. Your application (DD Form 2948) will be forwarded, via your chain of command, to the Warrior Transition Command (WTC) for processing.

Q: Who receives the SCAADL payment?

A: SCAADL is paid directly to the service member, not the service member’s designated Caregiver. It is up to the service member to ensure the compensation flows accordingly.

Q: Can the Service Member or Caregiver accept donations?

A: . Gifts or donations accepted by the NMA or Caregiver on behalf of the Soldiers in Transition (STs). There are a few caveats to accepting gifts and/or donations. Every gift offer must be reviewed by the ethics advisor to avert any violation of ethics law. A variety of statutes and regulations govern acceptance of gifts to the Army, Soldiers and Family members.
When a Soldier or Family Member is approached regarding a gift or donation, they should notify their chain of command immediately to avert any violation of ethics law and identify who can accept or not accept such gratuities. The chain of command is knowledgeable regarding the policies, procedures for receiving, accepting, processing and reporting gifts offered by Non-Federal entities in accordance with 10 USC 2601, DOD 7000.14R (Vol. 12, Chapter 30), AR 1-100 and AR1 – 101 and DOD 5500.7-R. The chain of command can also direct them to the appropriate entities for IRS reporting or processing.

Q: What is the process for Soldiers to attend outings or events while at Bethesda?

A: Soldiers are assessed by the WTB-NCR Inter-Disciplinary Team (IDT) using the Comprehensive Transition Plan Policy Guidance, to ensure the event/outing contributes to the Soldier’s rehabilitation.

Q: How do NMAs or Caregivers request leave or respite care?

A: The NMA or Caregiver should coordinate leave or respite care request to the Soldier’s designated Squad Leader (SL). The SL serves as the first line supervisor to the Soldier and the link to command. The SL is responsible for facilitating the resolution of administrative issues that arise, and helps guide the Soldier through the WTU process while enforcing the military standards.

Q: As the NMA or Caregiver, who do I contact when I have questions or when issues arise?

A: The Soldier’s SL, serves as the first line supervisor to the Soldier and the link to command. The SL is responsible for facilitating the resolution of administrative issues that arise, and helps guide the Soldier through the WTU process while enforcing military standards.

Q: As the NMA or Caregiver, where do I obtain health care for acute issues?

A: The NMA is entitled to military evaluation and care on a space available basis at WRNMMC. The NMA will be required to provide information of their private health insurance to WRNMMC and the Nurse Case Manager will assist the NMA or Caregiver to locate health care in the community based on their insurance plan if the care isn’t available at WRNMMC.

Q: Are there designated parking spots for Soldiers in Transition (STs) and/or NMA/Caregiver of the ST?

A: Yes, to facilitate NMAs of STs or Warriors parking, the NMA completes a parking request application (obtained from the ST’s Squad Leader). The NMA processes the application with the Navy installation’s Visitor’s Center located at Gate #1. The NMA will need the following documents to process the parking application with the Visitor Center:
(a) NMA orders
(b) Car registration document
(c) Driver’s license
(d) Proof of Insurance

Once the application has been processed, the NMA will receive a “Yellow” parking placard to be displayed in the dash of the car. The NMA is permitted to park in the following areas:
(a) Parking garages under Bldg 17 and Sanctuary Hall
(b) Parking lots located in front of Bldgs 60 & 61

Q: What do I do if as a NMA or Caregiver I received a parking citation?

A: The NMA or Caregiver should contact the Soldier’s SL for guidance.

Q: Is there a place for me to obtain temporary items (housing items) during my stay at Bethesda?

A: The WTU-NCR provides a Lending closet that’s managed by NMAs. The lending closet has items for the NMAs to borrow during their stay such as pots, pans, baking dishes etc. The Family Readiness Soldier Assistance point of contact can be contacted by the Soldier’s SL to assist the NMA or Caregiver with the lending closet.

Q: How are room assignments determined when the Soldier is ready to transfer from Inpatient to Outpatient lodging?

A: The transfer process is coordinated by the Soldier’s Inter-Disciplinary Team (IDT), Nurse Case Manager and the Soldier’s SL. A lodging outpatient room is determined by the Soldier’s health and rehabilitation needs. The case manager meets with the Soldier and family and to do a room orientation to ensure the room meets the needs of the Soldier.

Q: Is there any training for NMAs or Caregivers?

A: Yes, The Department of the Army has initiated a formal training course for NMAs and their Soldier to provide support and assistance to the Service Member as they heal and recover.

Q: Who do I see as a NMA or Caregiver if I have questions about financial matters?

A: The Soldier’s SL is the first line supervisor and will provide referrals to the appropriate subject matter experts.

Q: What is the role of the Soldier Family Assistance Center (SFAC)?

A: A comprehensive centralized coordinating office that provides a variety of services for Soldiers in Transition and his/her Family members. The SFAC supports the hospitals and Warrior Transition Brigades, by developing, coordinating and providing designated services that address complex administrative and personal needs involving Soldiers in Transition and his/her Family members.

Q: What documents do I need to access day-care (Austin’s Room) Bldg 62, Tranquility Hall?

A: The family member needs to bring the child’s birth certificate and shot records for each child.

Q: How do I contact the school liaison officer?

A: The school liaison officer can be contacted through the NSA Bethesda Fleet & Family Support Center, located in Bldg 11, first floor.

Q: What other organizations provide donations (personal toiletries, movies, books, some clothing items, etc.) to family members or caregivers?

A: The Red Cross Office – located at Walter Reed Medical Center, Bldg. 8, 2nd Fl, Rm 2189
The SFAC – located, Tranquility Hall, Bldg. 62, 2nd Fl
The Warrior Family Coordination Cell (WFCC) – located, Tranquility Hall, Bldg. 62, 2nd Fl

Q: What does HIPAA stand for?

A: ”Hipaa” stands for the health insurance portability and accountability act. This act/law is used to assure that all patients have a right to privacy.

Q. What does IDES stand for?

A. IDES stands for “The Integrated Disability Evaluation System” streamlines injured Soldiers’ benefits. It features a single set of disability medical examinations appropriate for determining both fitness and disability and a single set of disability ratings provided by VA.


Command Suite
S1 301-400-2305
Finance 301-400-0315
FRSA 301-400-2551
S2 301-400-0818
S3 310-400-2303
Event Coordinator 301-400-2291
DTS 301-400-2289
S4 301-400-2268
S6 301-400-2275
BDE Surgeon 301-400-2311
BDE Social Worker 301-400-2284
BDE Rehab 301-400-2316